Sunday, March 2, 2014

Crochet Blanket Edging - "Lace"

As soon as I would find out that I was expecting, my mother-in-law would take me to Sew N Save to pick out cute flannel for a few new blankets for the baby. We would browse the aisles and pick fabric styles to match together for the front and back.  Grandma Ruby would take the flannel to be hemstitched, then she would quickly crochet around the outside and within a few days she would deliver a bundle of darling receiving blankets which would make the whole thing seem so real and exciting.  My kids all loved their blankets and always picked out a favorite which we would later retire to the cedar chest.

Keeping with tradition, Kiri and I went to Sew N Save...and a couple of other stores...just can't get enough of cute flannel lately!  The opposite side of this darling grey and white chevron flannel is an equally darling grey and white polka-dot.  So cute!

CH:  chain
SC:  single crochet
DC:  double crochet
Use a size 5, 6, or 7 hook and crochet thread

"Lace" -  Row 1:  SC all around the outside edge of blanket.  Join.
                Row 2:  CH 5.  DC in next hole.  *SC in next hole, CH 4.  DC in next hole.  Repeat from *.



1 comment:

  1. My mother-in-law does the same thing minus taking us to pick it out. She always manages to come up w great combinations. When I have grandkiddos on the way I wanna do the same thing- I'm not so great at crocheting yet though. Gotta practice on gifts I guess.

    I love these traditions. And you are really amazing.

    ReplyDelete